The most common item you’ll find on a basketball player, besides a basketball, is a jersey. Sporty and chic, they usually come with the colours and logos of the teams they represent.
These jerseys are typically designed to allow comfort and freedom of movement as basketball is a very active sport. While traditional jerseys are sleeveless, sports clothing companies have recently introduced a short-sleeved version.
Whether you’re a baller or a diehard NBA/NBL fan (or both), a basketball jersey is an essential item to have.
Things to Consider When Buying a Jersey
Many basketball fans take the act of buying a jersey very seriously.
Some even follow a fan-made code of conduct guide called the Wearer’s Constitution while sporting a jersey. While it may seem absurd, it is understandable as many are very dedicated to the sport.
Even if you’re not as invested as these fans, there are multiple factors that you should consider while shopping for one. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Research: Before you purchase a jersey, do your homework on the colours and jersey numbers that you want. A jersey is an excellent investment and should be treated as such.
- Size: Consider the sizing rules of basketball apparel. If you plan to wear it casually, you can be flexible with the size. However, if you are going to play in it, choose a size that allows you to play freely without obstructing movement.
- Materials: A jersey should be lightweight and allow air to circulate. Choose one that has high absorbency. Lycra and Dazzle are popular options for jerseys.
- Price: If you’re going to play basketball in your jersey, it is wise to invest in more expensive quality pieces. However, companies are now offering many affordable options. Compare and buy the jersey that fits your budget without affecting quality.
- Legitimacy: Make your purchases from reliable and trustworthy companies and manufacturers. Customer reviews are a great way to see if the product is worth your money.
The Best Time to Buy Your Jersey
Certain jersey styles can be pretty costly. Famous players frequently change teams. Hence, it is crucial to find the right time to buy your jersey:
- Start of the NBA/NBL Season
- Holiday Season
- After Draft/Free Agency
Five Most Successful Jersey Numbers in NBA History
Basketball fans are aware that numbers aren’t just numbers in the NBA world.
Some jersey numbers are chosen intentionally, and some are not. But they’ve still resulted in some digit combinations that were some of the most successful jersey numbers in basketball history.
If you’re looking to bask in your favourite basketball player’s success, consider getting one of the jersey numbers below.
Who knows, you might even get lucky during a basketball match. Here are the five most successful jersey numbers in the NBA and some of the players that wore them:
- Jersey No.23: Michael Jordan and LeBron James.
- Jersey No.24: Kobe Bryant, Mark Aguirre, Rick Barry, Bill Bradley, and Bill Cartwright.
- Jersey No. 33: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Grant Hill, and Scottie Pippen.
- Jersey No. 32: Magic Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal (Orlando Magic version), Karl Malone, Kevin McHale, and Bill Walton.
- Jersey No.34: Shaquille O’Neal (LA Lakers), Ray Allen, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Paul Pierce.
Basketball jerseys are long-standing symbols of the players, the teams they represent, the fans and their mutual passion for the sport.
You can buy a jersey of your favourite basketball team. They also make great gifts for fellow basketball fans. When you’re purchasing one, remember to prioritise the aesthetics, functionality and efficiency of the jersey.