Gate valves, also known as sluice valves, are designed for completely open or closed service. Gate valves are most suitable in the pipelines for segregation purposes. Using these valves as regulating or controlling valves is a mistake. The gate valve unlocks by hoisting a gate out of the path of the fluid. Gate valves need diminutive space along the pipe axis and scarcely hamper the course of fluid when the gate is entirely unbolted.
One must know certain things before buying gate valves online. Because without proper knowledge about gate valves, one might end up ordering something unsuitable and unnecessary.
Industries and Usage
- Oil and Gas Industry: The oil and gas industries manually use gate valves. Pneumatic and hydraulic actuators open and close the gates to ensure the flow. As gate valves are linear motion machines, they can easily regulate steam, gas, oil, water, and other fluid substances. The straight-through clear track of a gate valve is its distinctive feature. Because of the minimal pressure loss, it is suitable for the oil and gas industry.
- Power Generation and Marine Industries: The power generation and the marine industry usually use two gate valves: rising stem type and non-rising stem type. When the rising stem type works, the stem upsurges overhead the actuator and the valve connected to the stem unclogs. In the non-rising stem, the valve disc connects to the stem because the disc is already threaded.
- Petrochemical Industry: In the petrochemical industry, gate valves manage the flow of dense fluids like greases, crude oil, slurries and gasoline. Petrochemical plants usually use slide gate valves because of the limitation in pressure control. Knife gate valves cut through profuse fluids such as crude oil and petroleum. This helps regulate and modify the movement of the substance.
Gate Valve Material
Because of their wide range of usage, gate valves come into contact with different media. So the material of the gate valve is of utmost importance because the wrong material of the valves might result in rash valve damage or system deferrals. So while buying gate valves online, one must also consider criteria regarding the valve material:
- Functioning pressures and their balance.
- The efficiency of over-coating on the materials.
- The rate and accessibility of the ingredients.
- The configuration of the media in connection with all saturated and uncovered parts.
- Average facility temperatures and their sustainability.
- Duration of valve’s exposure to the media.
- Fittingness of materials with inserted media.
Choosing the Gate Valve
- Compression Set: The rubber’s capacity to regain shape and tightness depends on the compression set. All rubber gears in communication with the drinking water must carry a drinking water sanction from the authority. The rubber compound must not worsen or snap as an outcome of the chemical composition of the drinking water. If this happens, the wedge core will decompose.
- General Performance: Valves with an effective torque of less than 5 Nm embolden the valve operator to close it too fast. It might result in excessive pressure in the pipeline. While controlling the valve with a physical gearbox or an electric actuator, the torque must be within the parameters of a customary range actuator.
In an industrial atmosphere, one machine is related to the next. It is impossible to ignore even the small parts of a gigantic system. So, choosing the correct gate valves online is essential to the whole process. That essential part must be fulfilled with indispensable understanding because it is not every day that one needs to buy gate valves.